PDA

View Full Version : a different Christmas this year pls advise

janny108
12-20-09, 07:43 PM
Hi all,
I just found out today our son is coming here for Christmas and he's bringing his girlfriend of roughly 4 months. He's staying with her in a hotel. We don't know her, what are we "obligated" to do, should we buy her a present? We are tight this month.
I feel like I don't know what to expect. He has not known her very long and he's talking about bringing her with him when he transfers from CA this summer.
We don't want him rushing into anything. Pls advise
thx
Jan

Bayrat
12-20-09, 10:03 PM
You are already beyond the worst hurdle, them asking to shack up in your house, so count your blessings. From there on, should be easy.

Do you have something for your son already? If not, why not do something with both of them as your gift? I don't know you or your son but if it were me, I would think about taking them to dinner. If that is too expensive, bake them something nice, from the heart :angel:

janny108
12-20-09, 10:57 PM
You are already beyond the worst hurdle, them asking to shack up in your house, so count your blessings. From there on, should be easy.

Do you have something for your son already? If not, why not do something with both of them as your gift? I don't know you or your son but if it were me, I would think about taking them to dinner. If that is too expensive, bake them something nice, from the heart :angel:

I just found out today because we did not know if maybe he was going to her parents, staying put or what. Now I know they are coming Thurs/ We sent him everyone's money because we had not heard from him and we wanted to make sure he got it. We did not even KNOW his girlfriend would be coming too. It's not like they're engaged or anything so I don't really feel obligated to do anything for both of them.

Cheri
12-21-09, 11:18 AM
A box of candy?

Ann
12-21-09, 12:09 PM
A gift - not expensive - would be a very good investment. If this young woman ever becomes your daughter in law (and it sounds like he is thinking of at least a long term relationship) it is far better her memory of the time she met you should include kindness, of doing something extra for her, of including not excluding her.

Check out the dollar store for things like pretty candles, colored bath puffs and scented soaps, a Christmas Carol CD,cute figurines, soft footies, most of these will cost you $1 each and from which you can put together a nice combo for $5 or less.

janny108
12-21-09, 12:19 PM
OK sounds good. What kind of small gift or should I ask our son?

Cheri
12-21-09, 05:33 PM
Ask your son. He should know. What kind of stuff she likes.

Susan
12-21-09, 07:35 PM
No matter how you may feel, be cordial in your dealings with her. If your son loves her, or is moving in that direction, you don't want to alienate him. I have the best mother-in-law in the world, and she has always treated me as one of her own.

janny108
12-22-09, 10:38 AM
I bought something yesterday from Walgreen's.:.)

Ann
12-22-09, 11:31 AM
Have a very blessed Christmas.

janny108
12-23-09, 11:09 AM
We heard from Alex and they are not coming now. We are sad about this but I'm going to mail out a present for her anyhow.
Jan