PDA

View Full Version : What is an American Life Worth$$$$

Susan
07-10-08, 08:19 PM
The "value of a statistical life" is $6.9 million, the Environmental Protection Agency reckoned in May _ a drop of nearly $1 million from just five years ago.

The Associated Press discovered the change after a review of cost-benefit [investigation] over more than a dozen years.

Though it may seem like a harmless bureaucratic recalculation, the devaluation has real consequences.

When drawing up regulations, government agencies put a value on human life and then weigh the costs versus the lifesaving benefits of a proposed rule. The less a life is worth to the government, the less the need for a regulation, such as tighter restrictions on pollution.

Does this bother anyone besides me?

This link takes you to the full article:

Value of an American life has dropped (http://www.cfnews13.com/News/National/2008/7/10/ap_impact_an_american_life_worth_less_today.html)

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 What price did Jesus put on a human life?

Ann
07-10-08, 09:29 PM
I saw that. The idea of the value of life any life decreasing was not a pleasant thought but a life is still valued at amost $7 million which sort of eased my reaction. I understand the relationship between enforcement cost and life value but ... I dunno maybe I just am not turned on with all the govt regulations.

Bayrat
07-10-08, 09:35 PM
I agree Ann.....but then they may have been talking about the value of politicians....

Sorry, could not resist!

Ann
07-10-08, 09:51 PM
grooooan

Susan
07-11-08, 03:34 PM
I agree Ann.....but then they may have been talking about the value of politicians....

Sorry, could not resist!

:lol:

Flannel Avenger
07-11-08, 07:48 PM
If I get my life appraised as being worth nothing does that mean that they'll leave me alone??

Charles
07-11-08, 07:53 PM
Nope.

Flannel Avenger
07-11-08, 09:53 PM
Then let the games begin.