PDA

View Full Version : Someone's at the door again

Ann
06-15-08, 03:52 PM
This may seem like a strange post but what do you see as being your obligation or being manerly when someone comes to the door unexpectedly? Do you feel that you have to go open it w/o knowing who/what is there? Or go at least say who is it? Do either safety concerns or personal convenience cause you to not respond sometimes? Pretty much everyone we know knows that bec or his health Charles often needs to rest in the day time if he has not slept well the night before and that it is physically challenging to him to get up and dressed and go to the door. They call first to see if a visit is convenient. Yet often we have people who do not just knock they bang and pound at the door. One was just here. They were at the door that opens off the bedroom don't ask me why. I was in the restroom. Charles was in bed resting so he can go to church tonight. Whoever this was banged and pounded and pounded and banged and seemed to be trying to actually push the door open, Charles said. Then sat in the drive and blew horn. No way was I going to go open the door for that. The door does have a small window at the top (curtained of course) and had I been where I conveniently could have of course I could have looked out but that would pretty much have put me eye to eye with whoever and based on their behavior it was very probably someone I was not going to let in especially into the bedroom with Charles in bed. Am I just totally antisocial or overcautious? Does this siort of stuff happen to others? How do you respond or do you?

Susan
06-15-08, 04:00 PM
I've never had someone try to come into the house uninvited, but I have ignored knocking at the door, and not answered the phone if I wasn't supposed to do so. I can't imagine.

Flannel Avenger
06-15-08, 05:14 PM
I hate it when people just appear.

And honking your horn is the quickest way to ensure that not only am I not going to answer the door, but I'll be crouched in a hidey hole inside the house with a weapon of some sort waiting for you to try to force your way in.

Angeleyes19
06-16-08, 06:47 PM
I ignore it when people knock on my door. I live in an apartment where I don't know anybody and when strange men knock on my door at 9:00 at night I prefer to be safe than sorry. BTW- Our car just got keyed in our apartment parking lot last night. Prayer for that situation and that it doesn't happen again would be awesome.

Ann
06-16-08, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys it's good to know I'm not so strange after all.

Flan you make me think of the old timey mountain folks who greeted visitors with a shot gun.

Ann
06-16-08, 08:35 PM
Father please watch over Brittany's car and all that is hers and protect it from being damaged again. Please watch iver her and her family too. Thank You.

Flannel Avenger
06-16-08, 08:55 PM
Flan you make me think of the old timey mountain folks who greeted visitors with a shot gun.

If only I didn't think I'd get arrested for doing that...

Teresa
06-16-08, 09:39 PM
When I first read your post Ann, what came to mind was that I'd like the door banging folks to hear that nice shot gun pumping sound.:rofl: I agree with Rob and I'm a yankee!

We haven't had anyone as obnoxious as your visitor but we have been known to not answer the door before.

Could you put up do-not-disturb signs on your doors maybe when it's not a good time? or a little dry-erase board with a sign that says "If no answer, please leave a message"?

Flannel Avenger
06-16-08, 09:45 PM
Oh... I have my ways of being scarey. :devil:

Ann
06-16-08, 11:25 PM
I am seriously thinking of tape recording Reno or better yet Reno and Sam having a disagreement. Both are Dobermens. And while I know Reno would invite an intruder in and show him around the intruder doesn't. And no harm done if he did for somewhere in the same house is Sam who has a different view of humans he does not know. Sam loves people. He finds them delicious. Actually he is very well trained he just knows his job is to do what is necessary to protect his person and the property and he enjoys his work.

Charles
06-17-08, 12:22 AM
Yes Lord watch over Brittany and all that is hers and keep her and her loved ones safe. If this apartment is not a good place please lead them to somewhere that is.

Bayrat
06-18-08, 11:49 PM
We don't get many visitors out in the sticks where we live but certainly a friend is always welcome. I have a habit of being extremely honest with my feelings and the situation at hand, so if I am busy, I don't have a problem continuing to work while the uninvited guest watches.

On the other hand, one day I was in the shower and the wife answered the door. This guy tried to force his way in claiming to be some sort of sales person, he actually pushed the door open. She told him to come back since she was wrapped in a towel and had to get dressed.

I dried, dressed and grabbed my 12g riot gun. The van came back with two in the front and one in back and I met them in the driveway. Unwelcome company there :)