PDA

View Full Version : Do Christians ever have any fun?

Susan
06-10-08, 04:56 PM
I heard a message the other night that began with the preacher asking the congregation what unbelievers thought Christians should look like. The list went approximately:

no drinking (alcoholic beverages)
no dancing
no smoking
no cussing
no lying
no fun
(when I was growing up the list included no playing cards, no gambling, and no movies)

It struck me as I listened that the list said (what the congregation thought) that unbelievers thought about Christians, and that the list was all in the negative mode. I have heard that non-believers often think that Christianity is all about what we don't do.

Does anyone else think that non-Christians see Christians in this way? Why do you think followers of Jesus are perceived in such a negative light? Can you make a list of positive characteristics one should (hope) to find in a Christ follower?

janny108
06-11-08, 12:17 PM
I know before I became a member of First Baptist, I definitely had ideas of what I thought Baptists were(I think most people do). Their membership class helped dispel some of that.
Jan

Ann
06-11-08, 12:58 PM
It is amazing the tendency we humans have to think negatively about whatever we do not know.

janny108
06-11-08, 01:01 PM
Well I did know some people, I wanted to hear what their church viewpoint was.
Jan

Ann
06-11-08, 01:19 PM
I was not thinking of you particularly when I said that so much as all the stuff we all hear most of which isn't true at all.

"All Episcopalians are stuffy and believe in same sex marriage"

"All methodists are liberals"

"Anyone wearing a tie dye shirt uses drugs"

"All southerners drive pick up trucks"

All people wth dark eyes and hair and brown skin are illegal Mexicans and gang members"

"All Irish are violent"

"All "holiness" females have long hair and wear bag dresses."
"Any Christian woman with long hair is a clothes line legalist."

This is the stuff prejudice is made of.

janny108
06-11-08, 01:28 PM
Oh I hear you, I did not think you were referring to me.
:.)
I understand where you are coming from.
Jan

Whitewolf
06-11-08, 05:26 PM
I think alot of unbelievers look at Christians that way,and is just one of many excuses for turning away from Christianity. We are sometimes viewed as "boring" because we don't take part in what the world often considers "fun".

I don't know about anyone else,but I have more real fun now than I ever did before I accepted Christ. And many things that I thought were fun back then were actually just plain stupid and foolish.

Ann
06-11-08, 10:32 PM
no drinking (manmade alcoholic beverages) But O the abundance of new wine no dancing to a manmade tune but dancing in worship before the Lord
no smoking but fire or the Holy Soirit that burns off bondages and chains
no cussing but abundant blessing
no lying but speaking the truth in love and in the power of the spirit calling thise things which are not as though they were.
no fun abundant overflowing bondage breaking joy
no playing cards, No need for cards to tell a future we have the word of God and revelation,
no movies but sometimes visions of His Holiness.
no gambling True, life is not a gamble when you're trusting in the Lord.

Like Whitewolf I believe I have had far more fun as a Christian than BC. And no hangovers and guilty feelings the next day or wondering what I had done.

Flannel Avenger
06-12-08, 12:08 AM
"All southerners drive pick up trucks"

:angel:

Ann
06-12-08, 01:02 AM
I actually thought of you when I posted that. :D but not all southerners do. I who was born way N of mason/dixon have tried for 30 yrs to talk 'baba born Charles into a pick up truck. I had one 2 days once. A whole 'notehr story right up there w/ all guys know how to fix mechanical things. This one isn't Charles doing but the doing of the dude who bought my truck since hubby thought we needed the money. I still do not know why saiddude disconnected the gasline to fix a frozen brake I do know the thing still sits in my yard and if he were not a good friend I would be rich in storage charges. I offered to buy it back even as is just to get it out of my yard and nope he doesn't wanna sell it for less than twice what he paid.

tann
06-13-08, 08:45 PM
no drinking (manmade alcoholic beverages) But O the abundance of new wine no dancing to a manmade tune but dancing in worship before the Lord
no smoking but fire or the Holy Soirit that burns off bondages and chains
no cussing but abundant blessing
no lying but speaking the truth in love and in the power of the spirit calling thise things which are not as though they were.
no fun abundant overflowing bondage breaking joy
no playing cards, No need for cards to tell a future we have the word of God and revelation,
no movies but sometimes visions of His Holiness.
no gambling True, life is not a gamble when you're trusting in the Lord.

Like Whitewolf I believe I have had far more fun as a Christian than BC. And no hangovers and guilty feelings the next day or wondering what I had done.

Bless you Ann for this wonderful post ... you made my day..
I cannot tell you how grieved I am in my heart when I hear a Christian say they "can't have no fun" ...unbelievable..
I did not know joy until I knew Him..
He makes me happy .. my kind of fun... :sing:

It may be true a grumpy Christian may come our way but they are not responsible for my salvation..that is between me and the Lord...
We stand before Him with no excuse of the sort...
Sorry but,, "Tann was a bad Christian so I rejected You" will not fly...

And one more point..did not Jesus say they hated me they will hate you...
"you have no fun" is just another excuse to remain in their sin...

Joh 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
Joh 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
Joh 15:21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.
Joh 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
Joh 15:23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
Joh 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
Joh 15:25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

Guys , as far as I am concerned you can't get much more fun that a group of believers getting together and having a sing a long.. love it...
What joyous fellowship (koinōnia)we have with each other that the world cannot even understand...

A Whole New Me
06-18-08, 06:33 PM
Fellowshipping in the Lord is fun.
Singing is fun even if you can't sing well.
There is a joy in helping others.
Cook outs are fun so are hiking, swimming, being with friends, hang gliding if that's your thing, painting, softball, football, kayakking, sitting by a fire with friends withn or without marshmallows, and so much more.
Never read in my Bible that Christians can't do therse things.

Getting out of your mind drunk, barfing all over yourself, and having a hangover that makes you want to kill yourself is not fun.
Getting stoned and wondering how you got where you are and where your money is is not fun.
Having to tell your family they can't have food because you lost last night is not fun.
Getting sued for child support by a woman you don't even remember being with is not fun.
Running down friends and spewing out hate may seem fun but the results are not.
Bible doesn't say we can''t do these we have free will but it does tell us that it's not what we should do and doesn't glorify God or bring us any joy.
Don't feel like I'm missing out avoiding the stuff that leasds to these.

Paulo
06-19-08, 02:21 AM
Great post.

Cheri
06-19-08, 09:24 AM
Once at a worldly forum a smart aleck asked what can Christian singers sing about because there is only so much you can sing about God and I gave them this long post and needless to say the thread died.

Teresa
06-19-08, 04:11 PM
Fellowshipping in the Lord is fun.
Singing is fun even if you can't sing well.
There is a joy in helping others.
Cook outs are fun so are hiking, swimming, being with friends, hang gliding if that's your thing, painting, softball, football, kayakking, sitting by a fire with friends withn or without marshmallows, and so much more.
Never read in my Bible that Christians can't do therse things.

Getting out of your mind drunk, barfing all over yourself, and having a hangover that makes you want to kill yourself is not fun.
Getting stoned and wondering how you got where you are and where your money is is not fun.
Having to tell your family they can't have food because you lost last night is not fun.
Getting sued for child support by a woman you don't even remember being with is not fun.
Running down friends and spewing out hate may seem fun but the results are not.
Bible doesn't say we can''t do these we have free will but it does tell us that it's not what we should do and doesn't glorify God or bring us any joy.
Don't feel like I'm missing out avoiding the stuff that leasds to these.

:yes:

When I choose to live for Jesus instead of myself, my ideas of fun are different.
The ways I USED TO have fun were sort of like repeatedly sticking a fork in my eye. I don't even know what I was thinking! :rofl: