PDA

View Full Version : worthy/unworthy for communion

janny108
04-28-08, 12:14 PM
We had communion yesterday and our pastor was talking about people doing communion unworthily and yet he said we that are of the family of God are worthy. Hence, the cup and bread got passed around and to my knowledge everyone took them.

Who is unworthy to take communion then?
Jan

Ann
04-28-08, 01:17 PM
You can start some really good discussions with this one, Jan, and I hope you have.

Breni Sue
04-28-08, 01:33 PM
Well, according to the bible, no one is really worthy, because everyone - even Christians - are guilty of wrongdoing. I supose the difference would lie in how strong your relationship is with God and if you approach the act of communion with a contrite heart. Again though, that doesn't make one worthy. Just forgiven, that's all.

But then, I never considered communion to be all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Whitewolf
04-28-08, 02:45 PM
It's been my understanding that we are considered "unworthy" of taking communion if we take part in it with any unrepentant or willful sin in our lives.Yes,as Breni has shared, all of us,even as Christians are guilty of wrongdoing.
We will continue to mess up at times 'til that day when the Lord comes back and sin is finally destroyed forever. Unfortunately,we still have our old "sin nature" to deal with and must surrender it daily to the Lord and allow Him to lead us in righteousness.

However,in taking communion,we are associating ourselves with His death until He comes and if there be anything between us and God,then we should surrender it to Him,receive His forgiveness,and be restored.