PDA

View Full Version : doing a report on job sites

janny108
04-23-08, 04:12 PM
How would I report on a job site? Others will be doing the same thing. We have to do it in front of the class. Should I use visual aids or not?

Jan

Ann
04-23-08, 04:18 PM
Yes use visual aids bec 1. listeners find aids make it more interesting and easier to remember and 2. Most instructors give better grades with good visual aids.

You might do a walk through of how to choose and use a site which will allow you to talk about a lot of different sites in a way that ppl will relate to not just tell what they are and list off a bunch.You might consider a hand out too that outlines what you said or lists useful sites. BTW are you familiar with the job parts of http://www.craigslist.com?

janny108
04-23-08, 04:31 PM
Actually I'm interested in doing something with monster.com.
Jan

Ann
04-23-08, 09:52 PM
Go for it! :)

The craigslist thing was not to suggest it as a report topic just for your own info if you ever were looking for something.

janny108
04-23-08, 10:32 PM
I was kind of hoping to pick up a few hints here and on other forums, but at any rate I'm going to the college tomorrow and maybe they can help me put my thoughts in some sort of outline...
Jan

Ann
04-23-08, 11:50 PM
The basics to any oral report or for that matter any oral presentation are
1.Tell them what your going to tell them (introduction)
2. Tell them
3. Tell them what you told them (conclusion summary which may or may not include a call to take some action)

So you can do as suggested above and do a walk through of what it is like to use Monster and how to do it (perhaps including a bit of why you would choose this site ie its benefits for you and your listeners) Another possibility would be to tell the good points and draw backs of on line job searches in general and this site in particular why you believe those are pluses and minuses. Or you can emphasize whatever else strikes you most strongly. The idea I would guess is to show that you have become familiar with at least 1 job site and that you can share something you know.

One thing that helps is to have your basic outline and some extra info as a back up in case as so often happens you run out of what you intended to say before the time you are supposed to talk for is up. In this case if for ex your talk is 5 min or 15 or whatever and you know your conclusion takes about 1-2 min and you get through with the main part of telling them with more than 1-2 min to spare add in a bit of your extra material and then when you get to the 1-2 min left point finish your sentence and go to your conclusion.

Practicing helps. Your daughter can help you by telling you if your voice sounds strong or scared and by helping you time it if you have a time frame to go by.

janny108
04-24-08, 11:43 AM
thanks Ann as usual. :.)
Jan

Ann
04-24-08, 06:57 PM
How's the report coming?