PDA

View Full Version : Lent

Susan
02-09-08, 01:13 PM
I was reading an article written by the worship director of the church where my daughter works. He said that Lent (which is an olde English word for springtime) is a time for forgiveness, and getting right with God, and with each other. He likened it to the spring revivals at the Baptist churches that he attended when he was young.

It had never occurred to me in that precise wording, but it should have. Last year I observed the Lenten season for the first time in my life, and the impact on my life, and our marriage was phenomenal. I got a new perspective.

Specifically, one Sunday morning my husband and I had some "intense fellowship" over who was to get the first shower. My claim was that I needed time to wash and dry my hair before we left for church. His claim was that he would only be a couple of minutes and then I could have the shower. I didn't know why he couldn't have his "couple of minutes" AFTER I had my shower. And on it went.

I was so angry because I knew I would not have time to get my shower. I got dressed angrily (without washing my hair or getting my shower), got ready to go angrily, sulked all the way to church, refused any civil words toward him, and generally did not want to let go of my anger. My thoughts were full of "he should have...he didn't...and then he...." And then there was a list because I started remembering all of my other unresolved anger issues with him.

Then I walked into church and sat down. I looked up to the front of the church. Everything, including the crosses in the church, were draped in purple, the color of penitence. The Holy Spirit reminded me of everything that the Lord Jesus went through to make it possible for God to forgive me for every single sin, small and large, that I have ever and will ever commit. Repentant tears began running down my cheeks.

It was a new beginning. Maybe you could even call it a revival.

tann
02-09-08, 02:08 PM
Amen Amanda...
those little aggravating things can be the hardest to keep under our feet...

Son 2:15 Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.

Look it up..it may bless you...

So glad you had such a sweet experience with the Lord..
I love it...:hug:

"intense fellowship" , I have to tell you that made me chuckle...
I am going to have to remember that... :yeah:

Ann
02-09-08, 03:28 PM
I believe we all need that personal revival, perhaps continually but certainly not routinely. I need to know how to be more open to such revibval in my heart and spirit. Or maybe less knowing how but doing what I do know and trusting Him to do the rest.

tann
02-10-08, 09:55 AM
Oh how I love this Scripture..It is an exciting on to me... :hyper:

We are all in this place of reaching and learning and coming to understanding of what is His perfect will and purpose.....

Where we do not yet know..we will as we seek His face...

and it is in those quiet times of reflection that He usually comes with that understanding that has been missing in our hearts...I love it... :angel:

Php 3:13 My brothers, I do not count myself to have taken possession, but one thing I do, forgetting the things behind and reaching forward to the things before,
Php 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Php 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, be of this mind. And if in anything you are otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this to you.