PDA

View Full Version : Are Gargoyles Evil? Bible references please

janny108
04-07-03, 05:59 PM
Hi,

My sister is having her pastor over for dinner and they have gargoyles in their home. She wants to know if gargoyles are indeed evil. I think they are, but I am looking for a way to show her proof.

Please reply asap!
thanks
Jan

lap7
04-08-03, 11:53 PM
What are they ?

no, I mean gargoyles ?

1 Thess 5:21-22
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. KJV

Ann
04-09-03, 11:26 AM
Hello Janny Welcome to ilj
Most gargoyles are meant to represent "spirits" that are not the spirit of the Lord. That would make them something God does not like. The word gargoyle iyself is not in the Bible. But why take them down because the pastor is coming if they are a normal part of her home? If this is her pastor then it is someone who needs to know the truth about where she is spiritually in order to minister to her. Hiding the gargoyles will not change where she is with the Lord. Hiding them because the pastor might say something or think something and taking them back out when the pastor leaves won't put the conviction of the Holy Spirit in her heart or change anything very basic.

bromjv
04-09-03, 12:50 PM
I remember when my older brother came home from technical college after being away for a period of a year or more. During that time he rented to his live in girlfriend. When my brother left for for his journey away from home his girlfriend decorated the house the way she wanted. When my brother returned I visited his home again to learn that there were obects being displayed that I felt uncomfortable with. Two of those objects were gargoyles sitting right on top of the TV of all places. I thought to myself why the TV? My heart immediately drew concern out of the image this object portrays. I too felt the presense of evil as I continued to look around I saw more and more the possibility of witchcraft.

Worship is the key innovator to a persons habitat and lifestyle generally speaking. We must be careful and remain strong in the comfort of the Holy Spirit. However in the presense of darkness there can be no distinction as to its manipulation and deceptional purposes to impose on the weak and contrary heart. I later prayed as I felt overwhelmed with not just the gargoyle figurines, but all the signs of the worship of nature, moon, and stars. Usually my experience has been that sometimes the ignorance of biblical truth always prevails to show us the light of the truth we readily need. In this particular, I went home and did my research on the internet to verify my intuition of her being a witch. I was right! She is not only a witch, but she puts people under seductive reasoning by way of being a massage therapist as an occupation, and employs others. My brothers and sisters in the Lord were praying that she would be forced to leave. Later she did, only to return and misuse my brother for her own practices. Yesterday I went to visit my brother unannounced. I pulled along side of him as he was talking on his cell. I waited in my truck as I waited almost 20 minutes before my brother gave me the courtesy of going into his house. When we approached the door he told me his girfriend is living at his place again temporarily. It did not surprise me, and I saw the dismay on my brothers face. My brother even though he has not received Christ as the light of his life thus far, is one of my biggest encouragers to go into the ministry. He knows some of the light that reflects God's compassion, mercy, and rightousness.

When we are strong and prepare ourselves for the longing of this present day of temptaion and trials, then we can walk in the light of liberty and not fear. If we go in losing the objective to share our wealth through Jesus then we will fall victim to lose our peace, and then the adversary will have his way taking away our joy.

In our own homes we place objects on display. Some gather dust, and yet some remain for a purpose or memory to signify hopefully a fond recollection. As I grow my life changes, when I grow as an adult I tend to put off those things that are no longer useful. God will use both good and evil to his glory. In the end He is the author and finisher of our destiny or faith. Our faith is where God looks to, and finds sanctification in us. We must be careful keep the faith in all things and know His presense in our tiny little closet space of holy ground.

My best defense is a good offense. The enemy studies just like we do. We must call audibles to defray the adversaries, so that we can march on to victory. I have noticed when we are genuine in our joy for the Lord, then we are in no fear for ourself or anyone else.

I am reminded today that my strength or horn is in the Lord. What can man do to me? God promises he will never leave us or reject us. (Hebrews 13:6) I am also reminded today to lift my heart up to another (others) in knowing God will bring glory to His name. If we are still in knowing the voice of the Almighty then we can understand the magnitude of His all powerful message to us today. He is our all in all! Amen?

Lastly I would like to encorage you as a man in the Lord to remain steadfast and let your heart take courage. We know God to be a God who signifies nothing less than miracles. Sometimes the miricle of letting go of our fears is good enough to replemish the joy or continuity of peace in our hearts. In turn reflecting a light of hope for the dark porticoes out in the ocean being tossed too and fro. We need to be that light path that beacons the hope among the trials of faith. Be not tempted, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind brethern. Jesus calls us friends and no longer slaves to unrightousness.

When I am in the presense of evil I ask God to give me a word or two to put on the full suit of armour. Letting the enemy know occasionally will put God in the midst. Therfore the seductive anticipation of darkness prevailing can never be. God says we are not to judge those who are weak in the faith, or those who do nor adhere to God's graces. Why? Becasue we are his ambassadors. We are His diplomacy. We need better ways for Christ centered diplomacy, which is always leaving the table with the intentions of coming back in peace. So, it brings us to the final anaolgy of how to be bearers of the light. God forgives because of our ignorance, not because of what we know. Today I know myself to be ignorant, but I can faithfully say my hope is always in the Lord. Amen!!

" Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while the light is with you. Walk while you have the light, less darkness comes upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be children of the light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them." (John 12: 35, 36)

BROMJV:fishing: :

janny108
04-09-03, 01:02 PM
Hi Ann and others,

I did not tell her to do something with the gargoyles.....yet. I can see where you are coming from on that score, though. I don't want to flat out tell her and her husband that having them is wrong, without telling them WHY.

Someone else told me (an assistant pastor) that she should get rid of them NOW because they are demonic. I mean, think of those distorted shapes. Satan isn't going to be scared of THEM! But I'm sure people in their weird way can be fascinated and scared at the same time.

I found an interesting link:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/7122/gargoyles.html

See, I can look up the historical deal about gargoyles, I just need some spiritual input here.

thanks
Jan

janny108
04-09-03, 01:28 PM
Lap7 and others,

Gargoyles are sort of part animal, part man distortions sculptures that were placed on top of churches and other public buildings to supposedly ward off evil spirits. They were supposed to be able to convey Bible stories, one which is eternal damnation to a mostly illiterate medieval(really) population.

Gargoyles comes from a French word basically meaning "gargle"; they were designed as water spouts like our modern day drainpipes.

Nowadays, people like gargoyles as decorations because to them it's "art". To some people they are appealing because they appeal to the imagination and subconscience (sp?). They think they are symbolic of personality types (mostly exaggerated).

My sister and her husband gave them as wedding tokens, but I did not take one. I think they are evil; just to look at them gives me the creepies.

My husband and I were stationed in Germany and we saw castles and churches with these statues on them. I did not feel peace being in those places.

I don't know whether to advise her or just tell her to talk to their pastor about it. But they barely know him, yet he is their spiritual leader. Versus talking to me; she knows me.

Any advice??

thanks
Jan

janny108
04-09-03, 01:30 PM
Oh I forgot to mention; she also has a phallic statue!

Jan

lap7
04-09-03, 07:20 PM
Jan thank you for sharing the information on gargoyles.

There's one Biblical school of thought that is interesting and would have everything to do with what your sister and husband know and believe about the gargoyles and the phallic statue.

1 Cor 8:4-13

4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

7 But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8 But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.
(from New International Version)

1 Cor 10:23-11:1

23 "Everything is permissible"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"-but not everything is constructive. 24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26 for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

27 If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28 But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake- 29 the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? 30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God- 33 even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.
(from New International Version)

So it might be that it is an innocent thing on the other hand they may be being drawn into a spiritual atmosphere.

Notice these scriptures are clear about the meat being eat; it was involved idol worship. Obviously, this was pretty offensive to believers.

I guess I would sit down with them and share this theories.

Ann
04-09-03, 08:48 PM
Hello again Jan
Here's an email address for some pastors who are pretty knowledgable about this kind of thing. They might be able to give you more specific info. pastors@firemountain.cc

What is your sister and brother-in-law's relationship to Jesus? Does either or both know Him as their Savior and Lord of their life? If they do not the best approach may be to pray that Jesus will give them a strong revelation of their need for Him and of His love for them. Once He is living in their hearts - or if He already us - you can pray for the Holy Spirit to convict them and show them exactly what God thinks about those things. I'll be praying for them and for you that God will show you exactly what to do and say and when and how.

God bless you.

janny108
04-11-03, 03:08 PM
Hopefully, I'll be able to tell everyone what she decides to do. I got together some stuff on the net, some of your posts here, and some stuff from the bible to illustrate what I feel I wanted to share.

It went down well, but I remember that the point of teaching is to bring people to a point of decision. Now they need to decide if they want to keep them. Tonight the pastor is coming over!
I'm praying that there will be plenty of time for them to ask him about gargoyles.

thanks

Jan

janny108
04-17-03, 10:51 PM
Well, they had their dinner but I don't know if gargoyles was discussed. So I don't know what they did about them. I trust the Holy Spirit will convict them so they will make a quality decision to get rid of them.

Jan