01-19-03, 04:20 PM
Check it out !
ichthus.org

Nampula
01-20-03, 03:40 AM
woooo! that's near me! :)

Metta
01-20-03, 05:16 PM
Which would mean it's far from me! i am so smart sometimes it scares me. :angel:

lap7
01-20-03, 09:42 PM
Ichthus was started the year after Woodstock, not to be another Woodstock but to be the furthering of a good idea. They only Christianized it with "Alternative" Christian Rock. Last year Kirk Franklin was there with a lot of others. I've seen alot of good things happen their every year. I go with a group of people, usually a different group every year. Now several hundred people go as a result. Of course thousands are there and any person who is looking for a new perpective on just how many people there really are in the world should go.

Nampula
01-21-03, 03:11 AM
:eek: wow, you come all the way from alabama? you're devoted! it's only about an hour drive for me :)

lap7
01-22-03, 10:55 AM
I went to Asbury Seminary, so I got into Ichthus that way. They really help open my mind about Christian music, what was and what wasn't, more about what was. But I love to bring people to expose them to "The Wide World Christianity." Most people live in a very small world whhen it comes to Christianity in other peoples culture. I have also traveled and lived with Russian and Belarussian Christians. I've also spent time with German Christians which was really a stretch for my faith. Being friends with these folks and people who went to school or were from other countries in Russian, plus Ichthus has really helped my walk with Jesus. I don't think exactly like them or do all that they permit but I understand the Bible and Christianity alot better.

Orpheus42
01-22-03, 01:23 PM
I probably won't go this year 'cause I need to not spend much money, next week I'm going to finally be able to make my deposit for my mission trip to Kenya this summer. Wilmore is a great little town though, and the people at Asbury are phenomenal.

When I studied in England last spring I went to an S&P Baptist church and that was the same church my host family attended. It was a neat experience. I also had communion at a 10th century church in Wales and went to the village church (Anglican) a couple of times, plus went to a compline service at the next village over (it was only about a 3 mile walk, I went with my Biblical studies professor who was also in England for the semester). I met some really amazing people, and don't let anyone tell you there aren't any real Christians in Britain! I also hung out with some kids from the Christian Union at St. Andrews University in Scotland and got to meet and discuss with some of the divinity school faculty (several of whom I have cited in papers, so that was really neat!). In Russia I only met a couple of Christians, one of whom gave us a tour of the city of Novgorod, and with all the churches there she told the Gospel story at least three times during our tour (without ever being pushy about it, she made it interesting and hit on different aspects each time). But I haven't had much extended time with Christians from other countries except for my host family in England. There's a girl from the Dominican Republic and another from Nigeria in one of the campus fellowships here, but I don't go very often because my schedule is a killer and it's on Wednesday night. I had a couple of Christian friends from Mozambique but they graduated. I'm really looking forward to going to Kenya this summer :)

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

lap7
01-22-03, 01:36 PM
Hey what a list of experiences! I relate to the Russian one well, in Nizni Novgorod all the Christians share the gospel with most anyone the can. I would like the same boldness and opportunies in America. I've ministered in Hospitals in TVER and people I was with ministered in Prisions and colleges. We can't do what they do in Russia. There is such a great hunger there. I hope what happened to them to bring this hunger about doesn't happen to us.

Orpheus42
01-22-03, 01:44 PM
I have a real heart for eastern Europe, especially the former communist bloc. I certainly hope nothing like that happens here in America.... but we do need something to restore that hunger....

I think after graduating college I'm going to go into a missions program in Bulgaria working with the church among the Roma (gypsies for those who aren't familiar with the term) as an ethnomusicologist to help develop local hymnody within the church. It's an exciting field that's really developing in some parts of Africa and Latin America. I've really had a heart for that part of the world ever since going to Russia two years ago (it was a tour with the university concert choir). Then again, I've also wanted to do a backpacking/hiking mission tour since touring highland hostels in Scotland.... it's possible that everywhere I go I'll want to go back!

But I'm not worried, I have a good Teacher to show me where to go :) Better to have a heart for the whole world, I think- even though there's no way I can be in all places at once. That's God's job!

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

lap7
01-22-03, 02:46 PM
I think every person who is a Christian should have such a heart.
At least to get free of the legalism that exist when we isolate ourselves to one group of thinkers. I studied in a Liberal Arts school before Seminary and I was amazed at how close minded they were there, I thought only Fundamentalist were suppose to act that way. But, I also learned that any group of believers are alike in one way; they all have close minded people and they all have very sincere people who all have something of value to say, even if the amount of truth is a bare minimal.
Just Keep In Step With The Spirit Jason and your life will be full and a blessing.
lap7

Candice
01-22-03, 08:35 PM
lap7-
where you at asbury when they did the big E concert with the E's posted all around campus?? One of my spiritual mentors was there and helped make the concert possible...

Candice

lap7
01-22-03, 08:58 PM
I was there from 1986 to 1990, but I was pastoring full time also, so I lived off campus and could only participate in the major events around campus. sorry, but it sounds very interesting.
Hey, I like your quotes.

Candice
01-22-03, 11:30 PM
wow that sounds way too recent... the guy I was talking about in in his late 50's early 60's so it's been between 30 and 40 years since he was there...

lap7
01-24-03, 10:31 AM
I've got to tell all who care, Asbury Seminary has worked very hard to become Indigenous to every person and culture since the '70s. This doesn't mean they have comprimised their teaching of the Gospel. It just means they are not the same school that they had built a reputation of being stuffy and out of step with higher critizisms. Now they teach at that level without comprimising the truth of scripyure and it's enerancy.
The school is very cutting edge for anyone, especially those who are Bible believers and want a equal education to any school in America. I studied under professors with doctorates from Harvard, Oxford England, Duke, Emory and every other school of higher learning one could name. If one was interested Asbury has a web site or have them send you a list of their Professors and their schools graduated from.

Candice
01-24-03, 10:50 AM
The guy I was telling you about was there durring the Abury Revival... I don't remember exact statistics but I think it was a 3 or 4 day non stop chapel service!!! WOW! and it spead where ever those students went...

lap7
01-24-03, 11:10 AM
That revival was either the 1958 or 1970 one that lasted 10 days and nights. There is a video of the 1970 revival by Henry Blackby {Experiencing God} with actual footage from TV reports and people who were there, as well as the actual sounds of the revival itself. Your right about the spread of that revival, according to the video ever where participants of the revival went a revival would breakout. I don't remember the name of the video but I think it had something in the title that mentioned "Flame" or "Fire." There is a book about the revivals too.