PDA

View Full Version : Secular Music

yeahitsmenick
12-18-02, 07:38 AM
hello hello hello
never posted in here before...

does anyone not listen to secular music and only listen to christian music? oh and why?

JessLynn
12-18-02, 03:08 PM
Nope not I, I like both, but of course I moderate and really think about what I am listening too, old cliche "garbage in garbage out" ;) haha
In Christ,
Jess

CalledByGrace
12-18-02, 03:15 PM
I listen to a combination. Although lately I have cut way back on secular music (besides the last couple days :(). It just seems rather pointless to me sometimes. I mean there's some good stuff out there but it's like wadding through mud to get to one good flower.

dorfsmith
12-20-02, 07:25 PM
I listen to both too.

yenshing
12-21-02, 02:43 AM
i think i like both. it doesn't really matter if u take it as a normal music but it won't be good if u get the some of the words into you;)

Chatty_Natty
12-21-02, 10:18 AM
I only listen to secular music.

dorfsmith
12-21-02, 12:38 PM
I bet I could find a Christian CD in your collection.

Chatty_Natty
12-21-02, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I bet I could find a Christian CD in your collection.

Doubt it! Christian music depresses me. When my mom has it on in the car, I feel like I'm @ a funeral.

Tricia
12-21-02, 02:21 PM
Then you haven't been introduced to the vast array of Christian genres. ;)

I listen to both, probably evenly. For Christian groups, I listen to Benjamin Gate and Jars of Clay and etc, and for sec I listen to Avril, Dashboard Confessional, New Found Glory, etc.

Chatty_Natty
12-21-02, 02:38 PM
My mom listens to gospel music.

I just can't get into Christian music. It sounds like it's missing something. I did start to like the commercial for WOW! (because I had heard it a million times). I then heard one of the complete songs on tv and flipped the channel.

I don't even like Creed and they're mainstream.

Tricia
12-21-02, 02:40 PM
Creed is actually both. And to tell you the truth, I hate their music. If you think Creed is as good as it gets, may I suggest some other bands?

Chatty_Natty
12-21-02, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Tricia
Creed is actually both. And to tell you the truth, I hate their music. If you think Creed is as good as it gets, may I suggest some other bands?

On the radio (Top 40 station), they played a portion of the No. 1 Christian song in the country and I hated it. I couldn't wait for them to play their regular stuff.

dorfsmith
12-21-02, 03:14 PM
No offense to anyone but most of the popular Christian music is aweful. That's why I listen to Independant Christian Bands. Bands that are not popular because they make fun of pop Christianity while staying true to Christ. The Swirling Eddies have a song called Hide The Beer The Pastor's Here which makes fun of Certain Christian Collages. They also have a CD Called Sacred Cows which makes fun of Carman, Amy Grant, Audio Adrenaline and many others. Obviously they havn't won any Dove awards but they do have some dedicated fans including me. There is a lot of good Christian music but you won't find it in a Christian bookstore or on Christian stations!

Breni Sue
12-21-02, 03:18 PM
I tend to listen to more secular music than Christian. When I do buy Christian music, it's mostly compilation CDs (Songs For Life, WOW, stuff like that). I like a few of Michael W. Smith's and Point of Grace's songs for example, but I don't think I could handle a whole CD's worth of their music. ;) I think I have maybe only a couple CDs by a specific artist.

There are a few bands out there who don't label themselves as "Christian music", but their songs often have Christian meanings. U2 I know does this a lot with their music. There are some Country artists who do it too. But overall, there really aren't that many "Christian Music" artists whose music I like.

dorfsmith
12-21-02, 03:24 PM
Will you all do me a favor and check out Daniel Amos. The greatest Christian band in the world. They cover the spectrum from wierd alternative to country to the beatles to you name it... and it's all good. Get their new CD Mr. Buchner's Dream it's beautiful. You can't go wrong with them...Please:D Seriously, don't say you don't like Christian music until you check them out. www.danielamos.com

yenshing
12-22-02, 08:36 AM
do u guys listen to hillsongs?
like the latest cd Blessed ,You are my world, For this cause...etc
is really nice... :eureka:

dorfsmith
12-22-02, 12:12 PM
I don't think I've heard of it.

Kittycat
12-22-02, 06:26 PM
Lately most of what I listen to is secular. It really depends on what you like and dont. Thats why I rarely like any Christian songs.

yenshing
12-23-02, 08:30 AM
actually they are from Australia..;)

catwantsin
12-23-02, 07:48 PM
No, not much anymore. I think I spent most of the 80's and 90's passing from secular to Christian music though.
I really think the recent rash of bands, like
12stones, Kutless, Justified, Benjamin Gate, Skillet etc, have gotten to good to ignore .

www.catwantsin.homestead.com

crazyforchrist
12-28-02, 02:45 PM
i listen to a little bit of both but mainly christian music. theres some really good christian bands out there. steven curtis chapman, micheal w. smith, mercy me, cademans call, avalon is cool too (one of them is from my town ive met them all), but i also listen to secular stuff just as long as its decent ya know? i dont like all that trash where every other word is cussing or talking about sex or whatever. i like celine dion, avril, india arie (she has some christian messages in her songs) and some others too. :)

yenshing
12-29-02, 05:33 AM
i don't really know much bout' music there...cause my church will be more on australian music...i guess;)

do u know ermmm *Jesus Freak

SoccerAaron
01-11-03, 03:53 PM
Nope.
I listen to both. But more christian.

yenshing
01-12-03, 02:11 AM
do u guys listen to pillars-fire proof?

SoccerAaron
01-12-03, 12:59 PM
yeah

Faithwalker
01-12-03, 08:20 PM
I find myself listening to Christian music the most. Aside from Billy Gilman and Celine dion I usualy just listen to all Christian. I only listen to Celine dion because I grew up listening to her because of my mom. And I listen to Billy Gilman because.... well he rocks :).... but nothing is better then listening a good Christian song and in the middle of typing somthing or reading an email or somthing you just raise your hand in worship :) I love that feeling I get when I listen to Christian music.....

owistoday
01-15-03, 04:50 PM
Try these Brenni,

Jennifer Knapp all three cds
Jason Gay, great acoustic work
Downhere, good song " How great You are "

Faithwalker
01-15-03, 05:25 PM
Jennifer Knapp is awasome i would recomend her!!!!!!

waterwalker101
01-16-03, 04:35 PM
Doubt it! Christian music depresses me. When my mom has it on in the car, I feel like I'm @ a funeral.

Hey, if you say something like this then you don't know how many chrisitian bands there are out there.

If you like to listen to heavy I would probably suggest Pillar or Thousand Foot Krutch(Krutch). They have a lot of good songs and really you might pass them up as christian, too.

Or if you like rap, try John Reuben(really recommend him)

Faith in Christ,
waterwalker101

any questions e-mail me at waterwalker101@hotmail.com

yenshing
01-19-03, 02:39 AM
there are so many of them....(bands)
when i was doing the church songs directory i was having so much trouble with it.....couldn't find this couldn't find that....:confused: blur blur:(

Nampula
01-19-03, 10:08 AM
it really varies from day to day which one i listen to more... because i'll get in a mood when i just want to listen not just to Christian music, but songs about Christ (as you all well know, there is a difference. after all, five iron frenzy has "dandelions" but they also have "these are not my pants.") other times, i want to hear something like modest mouse or primus. i like everything, basically. i didn't listen to secular music when i was in high school, though, so sometimes that influences how i feel about it now.

f.r.o.g.413
02-05-03, 06:41 PM
I only listen to christian music. There are alot of christian artists out there, like: Avalon, Mercy Me, Sonic Flood, Relient K, Point of Grace, Freddie Koyoka (i dont know how to spell that), Audio Adreniline, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Zoegirl, John Reuban etc. all of the artists are good, but you just have to find your style. :)

yeahitsmenick
02-17-03, 10:10 AM
well... i posted that about a year ago it seems but then nobody answers my question...

I really meant does anyone have a theological typeeeeeee objection to listening to christian music...sometimes i feel guilty for listening to non-christian music, which i know is a lot of rubbish (romans 8.1) for starters but sometimes i just feel like that...any more ideas???

Maybe i didnt phrase it right...probably not....i know what i meant:smash:

SoccerAaron
02-23-03, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by waterwalker101
Hey, if you say something like this then you don't know how many chrisitian bands there are out there.

If you like to listen to heavy I would probably suggest Pillar or Thousand Foot Krutch(Krutch). They have a lot of good songs and really you might pass them up as christian, too.

Or if you like rap, try John Reuben(really recommend him)

Faith in Christ,
waterwalker101

any questions e-mail me at waterwalker101@hotmail.com

ditto.
T-Bone, GRITS, Verbs, Gospel Gangstaz, are all good christian rappers too.
P.O.D for hard stuff along with the ones named by water. John lives about about 15 minutes from me and "Pataskala"(track 14 on hindsight) is where I live. I pass by his church alot..

yeahitsmenick:
No theological things against it.:)

tonya
03-07-03, 10:23 AM
Nick i really dont have theory about what music I listen to. I listen to christian music simply because I prefer to try to surround myself with as many things as possible that glorify God. Thats what we were created for and I personally dont feel that I can do that listening to music that talks about sex, drugs, going to jail and stuff like that. Someone else on this thread mentioned the cliche---- garbage in, garbage out-- Im kinda into that one to.:D Well maybe I do have a theory.;)

UberHouseWife
03-08-03, 12:53 PM
I listen to both. Most of the secular stuff I listen to is older, out of the 70s mostly...

MikeMcK
03-10-03, 02:03 PM
I don't listen to Christan music other than a couple of artists like Peter Mayer, Buddy Greene, Ritchie Furay and Randy Stonehill.

I would listen to more Christian music, but they just don't make it in a style I like and what is out there is really bad.

Mike

Eleanor Rigby
03-15-03, 01:08 AM
I listen to a bit of both....but more secular than Christian because I honestly can't find any Christian music styles that mesh with me.....

UberHouseWife
03-15-03, 02:11 AM
I've been able to find a lot of Christian music over the years that has fit my personal style, especially stuff off of Tooth & Nail Records (http://www.toothandnail.com).

I'm pretty open minded about music for the most part... :) As long as what I'm listening to doesn't drag me down or affect my attitude negatively, I'm ok...

Anne
03-15-03, 02:46 AM
I also listen to mostly Christian music. Specifically worship music ie. Vineyard, Hillsongs etc.

Once in awhile I hear a song from my rebellious days and I like it. Not the headbanger stuff LOL But Chicago, Foreigner, Journey etc.

I think I kind of measure things by this:

I may be in the world but I don't have to be of the world.

Music that has cussing, immorality, drugs and those kinds of themes make me ill. I have absolutely no use for it and it doesn't glorify God at all.

God Bless Y'all!

Babeinchrist
03-15-03, 03:56 PM
I listen to Christian music like 24/7, I am totally addicted to KLove a great commercial free, contempary Christian music radio station.
You really should check it out go to there website and listen online to see if you like and if you can grt it in your area'
http://www.klove.com

Orpheus42
03-15-03, 04:07 PM
I would just like to point out that simply because something is "secular" that doesn't mean it is "music that has cussing, immorality, drugs and those kinds of themes". I think Christians tend to make too great a dichotomy between what counts as "Christian" and what doesn't. The definition of contemporary Christian music as I am aware is music that promotes or is informed by a Christian worldview. That could have a much wider range of topic and meaning than anything we tend to think of when we think of "Christian" music (which tends to be a label slapped only on music that has the requisite number of Christian buzzwords and references to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit).

Thank you for listening to my mini-rant of the early afternoon :)

SolidRock
03-20-03, 11:21 AM
no Bob Dylan fans?? He does have two Christian albums you know; "Saved" and "Slow Train Coming." Both definitely worth checking out. THE greatest song writer of all time in my *humble* opinion :)

As far as the question of whether it's morally wrong to listen to secular music... If you're tuning in to music that advocates hatred, sexual immorality, racism, or any other sins that God warns us against, then I'd say yes, it is wrong to listen to it. You're surrounding yourself with that sort of thing by absorbing the lyrics, and it simply can't lead to anything good. But, as someone else pointed out, just because it's "secular" doesn't mean the music's content is full of the sort of things I listed above. There are many bands out there who are positive and sing about the good things in life. And, there are so many bands that are more pointed towards musicianship and instrumentation - the "jamband" scene (Phish, Grateful Dead, etc), along with jazz.

I think it's all about what's in your heart. If you're feeling weak in your faith, you should probably be filling yourself with as much Christian influence as possible, including music. But when you're solid in your faith, I believe it's ok to branch out to check out other things. Who knows, you may be at a secular show one day and lead the guy/girl next to you to the Lord! That can't happen if you only listen to Christian music!

DCTalker02
03-20-03, 03:02 PM
i listen to both. i always have and always will. on the radio, i listen to secular mostly. but i listen to my Christian cds also, and once in a while, a Christian radio station.

Dreamin
03-24-03, 09:18 PM
bob dylan is cool.. my favorite band is creedence clearwater revival. check them out if u havent heard them

dorfsmith
03-25-03, 12:20 AM
I am a huge fan of Dylan but I'd have to say that Terry Scott Taylor is the best songwriter of all time. He has done several dylan covers though with The Lost Dogs.

Orpheus42
03-25-03, 01:15 AM
Dude I LOVE CCR, they used to be my favorite band and are still in the top 5-10 total. Tombstone Shadow is my favorite song of theirs :)

Girl4God81
03-27-03, 02:29 PM
I listen to both BUT my perspectioves have changed alot over the past year. I used to think most Christian music was annoying as well, but I have grown to love alot of it.

I think it has to do with relating. I am so tired of how most fo my friends deal with life and problems and SOME of secular music talks about dealing with things in a worldly way (not trying to be offensive just stating my opnion)..

It makes me feel alot happier now to listen to music (spiritual) that I can relate to..but yes sometimes it is nice to hear other music too

princess leah
03-27-03, 11:19 PM
sorry but i gotta beg to differ: i don't consider them hard at ALL. i like pod and i really like pillar, but when i think hard christian music i think:

alice cooper--yeah, he went christian. check out the last temptation, brutal planet and dragontown. thus far, all i've heard is brutal planet.
zao
living sacrifice
still breathing--i REALLY like them. hard to believe that voice comes out of a female.

stuff like that.

Eleanor Rigby
04-01-03, 01:41 PM
don't forget mortification!!.......when my boyfriend first became a Christian...he was desperate to find Christian metal that didn't sound too cheezy or hair-metalish...and mortification came growling into his life....now he has a bazillion super heavy Christian bands that he loves to listen to...plus his band rivals the heaviness of many Christian metal bands as well.........

Flaquita
04-16-03, 02:16 PM
I like both. When I listen to Christian music I listen to Jump5, Relient K, Superchic(k), Rachel Lampa,and Jaci Velasquez. Secular music is okay. I like to list to Avril,Michele Branch, A-Teens ect. I also like listening to latin music, but I don't think you guys listen to that. I love it cause its part of my culture.:) :) :) :)

JesusMyTruLuv
04-16-03, 06:42 PM
i listen to both...

my best friend terri stoped listening to secular music because she was going thro troubled times... most people (non christian friends) dont understand i do though... kinda sucks though because she cant listen to any of my secular music haha :)

Juliet
04-17-03, 11:17 AM
I listen to Christian music. I feel that the more I surround myself with good music the less chance the devil has at tempting me with bad. Not to say all secular music is bad. Some has its good qualities. I just personally prefer to listen to Christian music. Every time I tune into the local Christian radio station it seems as if they knew I was tuning in and seem to play whatever I am in the mood for.

louisa
05-03-03, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by yenshing
do u guys listen to hillsongs?
like the latest cd Blessed ,You are my world, For this cause...etc
is really nice... :eureka:

I love hillsongs im going to the conference this year.

I only losten to christian music, i dont like secular music at all.

I had about 200/300 secular cds b4 coming a christian but then i threw them all away after becoming a christian.

I guess some of its not that bad but i prefer worship music.

so i mainly listen to worship music because God is my passion hes the only one i want to sing about! And praise a nd worship is wriiten to glorify God were secular music glorifies the artist.

I also find that songs always stick in my head so i would be rather thinking about God than some other song especially if its talking about their lover or some of this awful satanic rock music my sister listens too like marilyn manson ahhh!