PDA

View Full Version : good hardcore bands?

shyofeight
11-09-02, 09:02 PM
what are some good Christian hardcore bands?

right now i mainly listen to ...
hopesfall
blindside
zao
norma jean
dead poetic
project 86

any good hardcore band suggestions are cool, and i'd especially like to hear about some bands that sound like blindside (who are fairly "melodic" i guess).

SoccerAaron
11-10-02, 02:12 PM
TFK

Chris B
11-12-02, 01:08 PM
Go here: http://www.sleeby.com/search_result.asp?genre_id=3

SoccerAaron
11-13-02, 01:59 PM
Where does it go?

Chris B
11-13-02, 02:24 PM
It goes to a list of Christian hardcore bands.

Thousand Foot Krutch would be good if you like harder rapcore (like Pillar).

There is a local hardcore band here in Denver called Save Face (http://www.saveface.net) that you might want to check out.

My sister's boyfriend is in a hardcore band called Fear Before the March of Flames (http://www.marchofflames.com), you can listen to some of their songs from their website I think.

I haven't heard them, but Cope is described as "Melodic Hardcore" so they might be something like Blindside. Can't find a website, though.

Oh, and another band you should look into is Strikthurman (http://www.strikethurman.com). They aren't hardcore, more like emo-influenced melodic rock, but you might like them.

Subtotal
11-25-02, 01:56 PM
Don't forget my fellow NCer's...Beloved.

Also...Underoath and Echocast.

Nampula
11-26-02, 03:36 AM
melodic hardcore, huh? eso-charis, gryp, haste the day, hospital, mewithoutyou, spoken... that's all i got.

princess leah
12-04-02, 07:51 PM
i saw them at cornerstone, they RULE!

and i can't believe no one suggested disciple. rap-core. good fun stuff. kevin (the lead singer) has such an awesome voice, and they're SO incredibly devoted to the Lord. it's their sole focus and it shows very much, in every word and lyric and move they make. i've seen them thirteen times, have all their cd's and i still want more.

Chris B
12-04-02, 11:23 PM
hmm, I always consider Pillar and Disciple metal. When I hear "hardcore" I think punk. I don't know what the accepted definitions are...

SingPraise4ever
12-11-02, 10:26 AM
thousand foot crutch is awesome! i love them! haha! (Ash got me to like them)

SoccerAaron
12-12-02, 12:35 PM
It's krutch.;)

theGoThIcFrOg
12-16-02, 08:06 PM
Underoath, Spoken, Zao, and Project 86 are some of my favorite bands...

also some good bands are Stavestacre, a local Omaha band called Point Blanc, and another local band called Stranded in Time, System Failure, and Living Sacrfice.

Those are all great bands.... TFK is another one I must agree on being a great band...

how bout some ska music?? what are some of your favorites?

catwantsin
12-23-02, 07:40 PM
There are some hard core and industrial bands you may not have run into at
www.catwantsin.homestead.com

Judean Radiostatic,
A Different Kind Of Cop,
Hammertown,
and more....

Chatty_Natty
12-26-02, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by shyofeight
what are some good Christian hardcore bands?

Hardcore Christian.... isn't that a contradiction in terms???

Chris B
12-26-02, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Chatty_Natty
Hardcore Christian.... isn't that a contradiction in terms??? Not really. "Hardcore" refers to a music style. "Christian" refers to a religious belief system. So you can have a band playing hardcore style music, with a religious (Christian) agenda they are propogating (usually through lyrics). Or you can have a band made up of people professing to be Christians, who play hardcore style music with no religious agenda. In both scenarios the band will often be referred to as "Hardcore Christian" (or "Christian Hardcore"). No contradiction took place (at least in the linguistics... you may disagree with some other people's definition of what "Hardcore" and "Christian" are, of course).

> how bout some ska music?? what are some of your favorites?

Lots of Christian ska. There are lots of ska bands, period. My favorites are Five Iron Frenzy -- who will no longer be a band after next year :( and Balaam's Talking Mule (who broke up in '01)

theGoThIcFrOg
12-26-02, 02:42 PM
My favorites are Five Iron Frenzy -- who will no longer be a band after next year

really, FIF is breaking up? man that's so not kool... i love their music... is there a site where i can read up on that?

my favorite ska music... FIF, Supertones... Insyderz are ok... i unno, i listen to lots.

catwantsin
12-26-02, 02:45 PM
Yeah, Chris is right on the money there. Only there are some circles of music fans that would say if the lyrics don't reflect even in some remote way Christianity, you sort of have a
"Christians in a band" scenario which would include,
"Megadeth", "Creed", "Alice Cooper", and more.
A Christian band is most often defined at a band promoting Christ, even if the message is small comparitively speaking to say, "contemporary music."
As Chris said, Hard core is merely a style of music. God being the creator of music actually owns it when all is done and said. So actually all music outside Christ or not in worship of Him, is replicated by the musician.
ie, there was Christian Hardcore before there was secular hardcore in the sense of invention.

www.catwantsin.homestead.com

Chris B
12-26-02, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by theGoThIcFrOg
really, FIF is breaking up? man that's so not kool... i love their music... is there a site where i can read up on that? Check fiveironfrenzy.com. Reese announced it at their show on the 14th. He said he wanted to let the Denver fans know first, and that they would officially post it on their site later. (I can't connect to www.fiveironfrenzy.com :confused: )

Yes, I love the supertones and Insyderz. And Bunch of Believers (B.o.B.) is a cool ska band.

Chatty_Natty
12-26-02, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris B
Not really. "Hardcore" refers to a music style. "Christian" refers to a religious belief system.

Whenever I think of hardcore, I think of gangster rap...

catwantsin
12-26-02, 08:51 PM
I never thought of that. Lol, it kinda makes you wonder who came up with the genre titles for music ?

Chatty_Natty
12-27-02, 04:02 PM
That's why I thought Hardcore Christian was a contradiction.

Hehehe Christian songs where every other word is a curse word.

Chris B
12-29-02, 10:03 PM
You can append "hardcore" or "underground" to anything as a way of seperating it from the "pop" version. But, when used alone as a music genre (at least in my experience) it refers to a term coined by the punk band Minor Threat to describe their music (hardcore punk, which is more a reference to a style of rock music than to lyrical content).

But I bet it depends on who is saying it... if a rap fan says "hardcore", [s]he is probably referring to hardcore/gangster rap; if a punk fan says "hardcore", [s]he is probably referring to hardcore punk rock; if a long distance runner says "hardcore", [s]he is probably referring to an especially difficult run/trail/form of running; etc..

Nampula
01-04-03, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Chris B
Check fiveironfrenzy.com. Reese announced it at their show on the 14th. He said he wanted to let the Denver fans know first, and that they would officially post it on their site later. (I can't connect to www.fiveironfrenzy.com :confused: )

Yes, I love the supertones and Insyderz. And Bunch of Believers (B.o.B.) is a cool ska band.

ever since the announcement was made, their site won't load. but this is the gist of the news when i read it (some parts are left out because it was so long):

"Way back in 1996, just after our first album came out, we began to hear rumors that our band was breaking up. For six years we’ve insisted these rumors were untrue. We have always said that when we do decide to move on that we would make a very formal announcement about it and post it on our official web site to avoid such rumors from proliferating.

Here is that announcement:

By the end of 2003, Five Iron Frenzy will cease to exist as a working band. This means that after 2003 FIF will not be recording more songs or playing any more shows.

This was not an easy decision to come to, and we wish to thank you all for your incredible support since our inception in 1995. You have truly made this an amazing experience which all of us will remember fondly for the rest of our lives.

Quite simply, the reason FIF will no longer be a band after 2003 is because, after much prayer, we feel like the Lord has called us on to other things. What those other things are will be as diverse as the 8 people who make up the band, but the point is that we all agree that this is what the Lord has told us.

Again, we can’t stress enough how appreciative we are of you for your support of us over the years. We hope that you will come and see us on our farewell tour so that we can say good bye.

God bless. Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Dennis Culp, Nathanael Dunham, Keith Hoerig, Sonnie Johnston, Leanor Ortega, Micah Ortega, Reese Roper, Andrew Verdecchio. (AKA: Five Iron Frenzy)"

Lindz
01-14-03, 07:30 PM
coolhandluke is one of my fav hardcore bands. but they could be labled emocore. whatever i call them screamo. but they are great.