PDA

View Full Version : any bad religion fans?


pxuxnxk
11-04-02, 09:26 PM
these guys rock... am i in like-minded company? :)

Chris B
11-08-02, 05:06 PM
I haven't heard many Bad Religion songs... but that's never stopped me from critiquing a band before :D Just take it with some of that there salt...

I respect Bad Religion as one of the few Punk Rock bands which hasn't changed their mentality in the last two decades. And I really like their honesty and what they choose to write about (social reform and all that), but unfortunately that mentality seems to be very nihilistic in nature, and their very name suggests an atheistic world view.

Greg Graffin (lead singer/songerwriter) splits his time between his family, his punk band, and getting a Ph.D. in Zoology. Which is cool, but he failed to impress me with his writing skills with his essay "A Punk Manifesto".

I like their newer "modern rock" sound... but I can not figure out what the song "Sorrow" is about. It bothers me. I wish I knew everything.

No, I'm not a Bad Religion fan. Have you ever heard Dogwood?

pxuxnxk
11-09-02, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Chris B
I haven't heard many Bad Religion songs... but that's never stopped me from critiquing a band before :D Just take it with some of that there salt...

I respect Bad Religion as one of the few Punk Rock bands which hasn't changed their mentality in the last two decades. And I really like their honesty and what they choose to write about (social reform and all that), but unfortunately that mentality seems to be very nihilistic in nature, and their very name suggests an atheistic world view.

Greg Graffin (lead singer/songerwriter) splits his time between his family, his punk band, and getting a Ph.D. in Zoology. Which is cool, but he failed to impress me with his writing skills with his essay "A Punk Manifesto".

I like their newer "modern rock" sound... but I can not figure out what the song "Sorrow" is about. It bothers me. I wish I knew everything.

No, I'm not a Bad Religion fan. Have you ever heard Dogwood?
heard the name, none of the music. but i agree with your analysis of BR. you have to remember, though, that nihilism is one of the things at the very heart of punk rock. destructive criticism, if you will. graffin isn't too good at putting together anything longer than several lines, in my opinion. he should just stick to songs. nice and short and sweet.
and "sorrow" is pretty cryptic. i like that in a band, though. lol.

Chris B
11-13-02, 03:19 PM
> you have to remember, though, that nihilism is one of the things at the very
> heart of punk rock.

Yes it is, which is why so many Christian punk bands make the distinction by insisting on being called "Christian" despite everybody telling them that labels are stupid.

> he should just stick to songs. nice and short and sweet.

hehe, yes, he does seem to be good at songs. But he is going to have to write and defend a dissertation sooner or later ;)

> and "sorrow" is pretty cryptic. i like that in a band, though

hehe, I don't, I get all confused :p I have the same problem with emo and other "poetic" music.

Oh my, you need to hear Dogwood

Listen to some MP3s: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/225/dogwood.html

pxuxnxk
11-14-02, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Chris B
> you have to remember, though, that nihilism is one of the things at the very
> heart of punk rock.

Yes it is, which is why so many Christian punk bands make the distinction by insisting on being called "Christian" despite everybody telling them that labels are stupid.
i know a lot of people do hate labels, but they're necessary. just like judging people by clothing is necessary; you make a statement to the rest of the world with your clothing because it's the first readily distinguishable thing people see when they meet you. it's the same with music; labels are necessary to quickly differentiate garth brooks from beethoven from nine inch nails.> and "sorrow" is pretty cryptic. i like that in a band, though

hehe, I don't, I get all confused :p I have the same problem with emo and other "poetic" music.

ah, emo... yum. lol. i think that's easy to understand--deftones, tool, and the like are the only things that i routinely have difficulty figuring out, but it's awesome noentheless. i guess it's because everything chino(deftones) writes is completely fantasy, and maynard (tool) words things so that they're meant to throw you. (don't yell at me if those names aren't right; i apologize beforehand for my lack of certainty)

i'll download some dogwood while i sleep toinght

pxuxnxk
11-14-02, 12:23 AM
just checked your location, have a quick question: ever been to steamboat springs?

Chris B
11-14-02, 04:19 PM
No I don't think so. Not on purpose anyway, I might have driven through it before.

pxuxnxk
11-14-02, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Chris B
No I don't think so. Not on purpose anyway, I might have driven through it before.
well, 'twas worth asking. i doubt you've driven through, though, because we are way out in the boonies and on the way to nothing... 'cept for one of the largest meth-producing regions in the country and a stronghold for the kkk... one of these days, they're gonna get a taste of posi-youth in action......>=(