PDA

View Full Version : Drum Corps

Phantom Tuba
10-19-02, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know anyone in a drum corp? which one? i want to join one but I need some information first; whatever info you have would be appreciated! :angel:

Breni Sue
10-19-02, 09:38 PM
Moving to the Music forum. I think you will get more replies this way. Thanks! ;)

Candice
10-20-02, 02:33 PM
i do believe a certain moderator of ours was in a drum and bugle corp.... but the trick is getting him online so he can reply....

Phantom Tuba
10-20-02, 02:52 PM
thanks
:angel: :smash:

Phantom Tuba
10-27-02, 05:57 AM
who would that be perchance?

*releases her magical and mystical pet jackelope into the grazing field for lunch time*

:angel: :angel:
:stinkeye: :stinkeye:
:smash: :smash:

Candice
10-27-02, 02:20 PM
mr Jason my lovely co-mod here in the music forum....

Orpheus42
10-31-02, 01:35 PM
Holy cow did you say drum corps? Dude, my new best friend.

I would have aged out this past summer had I been marching, but I couldn't afford to march more than one summer and stay in college. I marched Capital Regiment in their inaugural season. What kind of information are you looking for?

Does Phantom use tubas? I didn't realize they'd made the switch to B-flat horns. :(

Phantom Tuba
11-08-02, 11:28 AM
I was looking for any kind of information for joining the Phantom Reigment; I have a friend that plays tuba for Madison Scouts. The only thing I know about trying out for Phantom is that there is a $50 tryout fee. Do you know anyone in Phantom?
:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

Phantom Tuba
11-08-02, 11:30 AM
the first one i thought about was Madison Scouts, then i found out that that was all-male. The second one i thought about was The Cavaliers, then i found out that they were all-guys too. Phantom is still pretty good.

Orpheus42
11-10-02, 02:05 AM
Madison uses G brass, so they have contras, not tubas. If they use G brass, it goes as follows from highest to lowest:

sopranos
altos/mellophones/french horns (different corps use different names)
baritones
euphoniums
contras

If they use B-flat then they tend to just call them trumpets and tubas. I despise B-flat brass in drum corps. Oh well, at least George Hopkins didn't convince them to let him use electronics and amplification.... *sigh*

I guess I'm just a purist at heart in some things.

Phantom's web site is http://www.regiment.org/

This is from the 2003 Membership section. They tend to be very serious about their requirements, ESPECIALLY spring/summer move-in dates (though if you're still going to be in school at that time they'll probably cut you some slack).

Here are a few key items:

-- Auditions will be held the Friday-Saturday-Sunday after Thanksgiving at Harlem Middle School in Loves Park.

-- There is a $50 audition fee.

-- Member fees for the summer total $1,500 for new members and $1,400 for veterans.

-- The camp list is at the bottom of this page. All camps are mandatory.

-- Membership is generally limited to 17-year-olds to ageouts (must be 21 or younger on June 1, 2003), though mature 15- and 16-year-olds will be considered.

-- Videotapes are not accepted in lieu of coming to camp.

-- Phantom Regiment's color guard is all-female.

-- Audition packets include all the details of camp, how the process works, audition music, etc. There is a $10 shipping and handling fee. Eligible returning vets will receive a packet free of charge.

-- Conductor auditions are open to everyone, regardless of whether or not the person has previously marched in the Phantom Regiment.

The membership information packets are ready. You should receive your packet within 10 days after we receive your application. Almost every question you have will be answered in this packet. To receive one, click here.

2002-2003 Camp Schedule
Locations TBA, all in Rockford area
Nov 29- Dec 1 Auditions (Thanksgiving Weekend)
Dec 27-29 Music Camp
Jan 17-19 Music Camp
Feb 14-16 Music Camp
March 14-16 Drill Camp
April 25-27 Drill Camp
May 9-11 Drill Camp
May 23 Move-in for Spring Training

Hope that helps. Auditions are coming up VERY SOON.

If you don't fit in there, check out Capital Regiment at www.capitalregiment.org which is the corps with whom I marched.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

BrianDBuchanan
11-11-02, 12:59 PM
I know 8 drummers in the Toledo Glassmen. I am from Dayton Ohio, which is sort of known as the marching band capital of the world cause so many good HS bands are located around Dayton. I could get you more info on Glassmen or the Caveliers if you want!!

Phantom Tuba
11-12-02, 11:32 AM
ok thanks appreciate it!

:spin: :spin: :spin:
:stinkeye: :stinkeye: :stinkeye:

Orpheus42
11-13-02, 12:25 AM
She's a girl so Cavies are pretty much out.

I'm not a Glassmen fan, but eh to each their own.